Rattlebox

Contributing to the hash of life

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Taste Test - Canned Tomatoes

Since much of my life revolves around the tomato, this particular taste test was long overdue. I needed to make a batch of soup for our annual"Soup Day" at work and since I needed to buy several cans of tomatoes it seemed the perfect time to taste a couple of brands at once. Because the recipe calls for the addition of tons of herbs and onions and garlic, I saw no need to buy high-end tomatoes, and purchased three varieties under $2 a 28 oz. can. All the varieties were of whole peeled tomatoes which proved to be free of skins. Whole tomatoes contain seeds.

The first tomatoes sampled were the DeLallo Imported Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes in heavy juice with basil. I had tried to avoid the brands with basil because I didn't want to add another flavor to the soup, but I'd slipped up. This brand contained 20 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup, which is a good thing because cooks should be able to add salt during the cooking as needed. The ingredients list included whole peeled tomatoes, tomato juice, basil leaf and salt. The Delallo tomatoes had a good, rich taste and were free of skins.

The second brand I tried was Dei Fratellli Prima Qualita (!) Whole Tomatoes, which claimed to be "all natural." The Dei Fratelli tomatoes contained 190 mg sodium per 1/2 cup, and conained no basil. After the low-sodium tomatoes this brand seemed overly salty, but had a good, acidic taste. The ingredients list included tomatoes, tomato juice, sugar, sea salt, calcium chloride and citric acid. They were also in a heavy juice and were free of skins.

Last I tasted Redpack Whole Peeled Tomatoes in thick puree. The Redpack tomatoes also carried the 100% natural advertisement, and they contained tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, calcium chloride and citric acid. They also contained the higest amount of sodium (220 mg) per 1/2 cup, and no basil. They had an odd aftertaste, and would probably not purchase them again.

Overall my vote was for the DeLallo tomatoes, with the Dei Fratellis coming in a close second. While I had tried to "taste around" the basil in the DeLallo brand, I'm not sure whether it contributed to my selection or not, but I think it wasn't in sufficient quantity to throw off any recipes containing other herbs,onions or garlic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home